Saturday, May 14, 2011

School's Out For Summer! Now What?

I just returned from a walk across town to drop an envelope in the mail.  I took my time and looked in several shop windows.  I joked with the ladies at the bank and played with a stray dog.  I helped a woman load some plants into her car and then went by the store to get one of the Italian beef sandwiches on special today.  I walked back home, sat in my chair, and looked around the apartment for what to do next.

I have never been one who is hard to entertain, but today feels different.  I don’t know what to do.  I started school again in November and in January doubled up on the class load so I could graduate in May.  The work load has been pretty intense for the last few months, but yesterday I turned in the last assignment for my research class.

I felt a huge sense of relief to know that I had finished and immediately went to a friend’s house to hang out because I had the time to do so.  Today, when I woke up, I took a shower and sat down at my computer like I do every morning.  I checked my email and Facebook, read a little bit of news and then logged into my school account to start my work for the day.  Once the page was up, I noticed there were no tasks listed.  That’s when I remembered that I had finished the day before and there was nothing that needed done, so I was free.

I stood up smiling and contemplating my choices for the day.  I could do anything I wanted.  Today I was not tied to a book or my computer.  The possibilities were endless.  I could…WHAT!!!  Nothing came to mind.  For weeks I had been saying that I was ready to have the semester done with so I could be free for the summer, but I had never considered what exactly I would do.

I could always watch TV, but I didn’t feel like it.  Plus, that had been my escape when I took study breaks.  It was the same with my XBOX.  When I would take an hour off, I either watched television or played a video game while I ate.  I love to read.  I could read a book, but I have read 12,738 books in the last six months, I really didn’t feel like picking up another one for at least a week.

Almost everything in the apartment is already packed for the move.  I can’t pack anything else because we are still living here for two more weeks.  We have already taken most of our furniture to the new house.  The apartment is pretty empty.

It is a Thursday morning, so almost everyone is at work or school.  The few I know who are not at work are sleeping because they work midnights.  I live in an apartment complex, so there is no grass to mow or anything to fix.  I need to figure this out.  My new job in Mt. Vernon starts on May 31, but until then, my days are free.

Bunny Juggling WOULD pass the time.
When I was young, this was easy.  I would go to a friend’s house, start talking, and the hours would just fly.  We would hop in a car and the day could take us anywhere, but that is easy to do when you have no responsibilities.  I am not saying it is hard to entertain yourself as an adult.  I am someone who does not get bored easily.  I have never had trouble finding a way to use my time.  It may not have always been productive, but I enjoyed it.  So today is kind of new to me.

Maybe I should learn a new language or get to know my neighbors.  I could join a gym or try to catch that skunk that has been hanging around here.  I have been wanting to learn guitar.  I could cook an elaborate meal for when Kirsten gets home.  I may go jogging or just throw acorns at the squirrels in the park.

I still do not know what the rest of the day (or couple of weeks) holds for me, but I have succeeded in burning another hour writing this blog.

3 comments:

  1. We could go on a cool adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I would love to take you up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best summation of Friday, May 13th that I've ever read! Dawdling. That's what I'd recommend.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! I wrote this for you.

If you would like to leave a comment, but do not have a Google account just click on the COMMENT AS: dropdown box and choose Name/URL or Anonymous.

But if you choose Anonymous, please let me know who you are unless you really do not want me to know.